Tottenham will open talks over the appointment of Ange Postecoglou in the next 48 hours as they finally look to end their long hunt for a new manager – and three key figures look likely to following him in quitting Celtic.
The process of appointing a new manager at Spurs has been a long and arduous one. The process began back in early March by former sporting director Fabio Paratici and some weeks before the confirmed departure of Antonio Conte.
Since then, Ryan Mason – via an ill-fated spell in charge for Cristian Stellini – has been holding the fort.
But while Spurs have made it clear their ambitions to find a new big-name coach, finding that man has proved easier said than done.
Indeed, a string of candidates have fallen by the wayside with chairman Daniel Levy hitting a series of brick walls. To that end, the likes of Julian Nagelsmann, Vincent Kompany, Xabi Alonso, Luis Enrique and Arne Slot have all turned down the Tottenham hotseat.
However, the end finally looks in sight with Celtic boss Postecoglou set to open talks with the club this week.
The Greece-born Australian has enjoyed huge success at Celtic, winning five trophies in two seasons. That includes a superb treble, capped off in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Inverness in the Scottish Cup final.
With Levy honing in on the 57-year-old, a series of reports claim Postecoglou has confirmed he intends to move to Tottenham.
Talks will now be held in the next couple of days – with Tottenham reportedly optimistic of confirming his appointment before the week is through.
Postecoglou is due to go on holiday on Tuesday and Levy wants an agreement concluded before then.
But sadly for Celtic, it will not just be their prized manager they will be losing either.
And the Daily Record claims Postecoglou wants his two key backroom men to join him in north London.
Indeed, Postecoglou has reportedly made clear his plans to also bring backroom duo John Kennedy and Gavin Strachan with him.
As a result, the Record claims Celtic will try demand hefty compensation for their manager and his two staff.
That said, the 57-year-old only signs rolling 12 month contracts at Celtic, so any compensation due will likely be owing for Kenndy and Strachan.
It could get significantly worse for Celtic though too, with reports claiming Spurs are also targeting striker Kyogo Furuhashi.
The Japan star has proved a revelation at Celtic since a £4.5m switch from Vissel Kobe in 2021. Indeed, the 28-year-old has scored 34 goals in 50 appearances this season, putting him on Tottenham’s radar.
Per the Independent, any deal for Kyogo will set Celtic back around £30m. Reports claim he is also keen to follow his manager to London.
Discussing the likely departure of Celtic’s manager, skipper Callum McGregor insists the Bhoys can bounce back.
“Of course, selfishly for us, we want to keep him.
“The club wants to keep him as much as we possibly can. He has done such an amazing job. The turnaround since he walked in the door has been incredible, probably people didn’t envisage that happening so quickly.
“You just never know how football works. One thing about football is that you have to be flexible. If that is a parting gift then what a way to go.”
McGregor continued: “If not, and we are lucky to keep him, then we will be delighted to see him in pre-season. Whatever happens, the club’s in a really good place. We’re in the Champions League again next season so that’s attractive straight away.
“The players have had 24 months together now, really building something on the back of success. We will go and enjoy the summer and, like I said, in football you always have to be flexible. You just take things as it comes.”
Per widespread reports, a deal for Postecoglou will not be difficult to agree and could even be announced by Tuesday.
And in what appeared a farewell speech, Postecoglou has thanked Celtic fans for taking him under their wing.
However, he has admitted he was seen as something of a ‘joke’ when he first stepped in at Celtic Park in 2021 from Yokohama F. Marinos.
“I have appreciated the support I have had from day one,” he said. “I was a joke, a lot of people made fun of my appointment.
“The supporters put their collective arms around me. It was up to me to repay their trust.”
He has very much done that in his two years at the helm. However, a new challenge awaits and the chance to resurrect Tottenham’s fortunes in the Premier League is one he has found too good to turn down.