Following their latest defeat in MLS, Miami announced Thursday that they had parted ways with Neville - with a poor run of results leading to his eventual departure. Beckham admitted it was "right to make a change" with Miami struggling after 15 games, with making the playoffs the minimum requirement expected.
"Phil has made a real contribution to the culture of our club with his qualities as a leader and knowledge as a coach," Beckham said in a statement after Neville was sacked. "Sometimes in this game we have to make the toughest decisions and sadly we feel the time is right to make a change."
Neville has been in charge since January 2021, and led them to the first-round of the MLS Cup last season. But performances have dipped so far this campaign and Miami have lost 66 percent of their games in MLS.
Their current record of 5-0-10 leaves them 15th in the Eastern Conference, after losing their last four MLS matches. Miami are still in the US Open Cup, but MLS remains the priority for Beckham and the franchise.
Wednesday's 1-0 defeat at home to New York Red Bulls was the final outing for Neville, with his team managing just one shot on target all game. The Red Bulls had nine efforts on goal, and managed to hold on despite having a man sent off late.
"I would like to thank the Inter Miami CF ownership group for their trust and making me a part of this project; the players and staff for their impressive commitment, dedication and hard work; and the fans for their unwavering support for the Club since day one," said Neville. "I’m grateful to have played a part in the growth of this Club and wish Inter Miami CF all the best in the future."
The pressure was starting to show in Neville, as he snapped at a reporter at a recent press conference. Miami lost 3-1 to MLS rivals Orlando City, and Neville lost his cool after the game by swearing at a member of the media who interrupted him.
"Can I finish speaking? Okay, because I don’t interrupt your question. So don’t interrupt mine - show some f****** respect," Neville said to the reporter.
Since being hired on 18 January, 2021, Neville managed a 38.89 win percentage as he finished with a record of 35-13-42. Miami will now begin finding an immediate replacement, but Neville may still remain in the area with his son currently playing for the team.2023-06-01T23:10:08Z dg43tfdfdgfd